Here is my version of the New Orleans Rice and Beans. Easy to make, packed with fiber and nutrients, hearty and healthy.
Preparation time is about one hour. I like to soak the beans for a few hours, but it is totally optional.
- 1 cup of dry red kidney beans (3 cups of water)
- ½ cup of brown rice (1 cup of water)
- 1 avocado
- Greens (spinach, kale, or any other dark leafy greens)
- Discard any broken beans or debris before cooking.
- Rinse beans and drain.
- Beans may be soaked overnight, but the pressure cooker allows you to cook beans without presoaking.
- You may add garlic, celery, sprigs of fresh herbs, or add a bay leaf for additional flavor. I use paprika, cayenne, and cumin for seasoning.
- Do not salt before cooking as salt inhibits cooking.
- Cook using “High Pressure” for 25 minutes (soaked) and 35 minutes for un-soaked beans, followed by the Natural Pressure Release.
- Mix rice and with water.
- Bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
You can mix the rice and beans in a fresh salad or use water to pan sauté over medium-high heat.
Garnish with love and avocado! You can add corn, tomatoes, and whatever your heart desires.