From plant-based curious to plant-based serious. This is an easy read with my top recommendations on how to start or deepen your wellbeing with a plant-based diet.
Of course, diet is not the only a part of well-being. But, it is a giant part. If you can clean our your plate, the rest becomes easier.
What is Plant-Based Diet?
A plant-based diet is a whole foods diet consisting mostly or entirely of foods derived from plants (vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, and fruits).
In the “The China Study” a plant-based diet was linked with veganism.
However, veganism can be associated with animal rights or environmentalism. On the other hand, a plant-based diet is focusing on individual health and wholesome diet. Not to mention, one can consume an unhealthy vegan diet rich in processed foods, bad fats, high sugars, and unhealthy salts.
Education and Experience
Change is the end result of all true learning. Leo Buscaglia
Internet, libraries, podcasts, experts on health and diet are everywhere. We live in the golden age of information. From the tips of our fingers, we can access material from the ancient practices to modern science.
Personally, I love to immerse myself into the world of wellness. In fact, this is one of my passions. Often, I feel like a scientist with my body being a lab. If the concept sounds interesting, my gut feeling switch is on, and the research is solid, I experiment. Specifically, I record what I eat and how it makes me feel: waking up in the morning, energy level, clarity of thoughts, dreams, energy levels going to sleep. The result of this method (over the last 20 years) is a plant-based diet.
You can also try this simple method of tracking your food in a notepad or a spreadsheet.
A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read. Mark Twain
1) Ray Cronise is one of my favorites people. Also, a leading expert in the plant-based world. I like his non-dogmatic and scientific, experimental approach. Over many years, he has been one of my greatest teachers (via podcasts, books, TED talks). He is a NASA scientist and the man behind the Metabolic Winter Hypothesis.
2) Dr. Michael Greger founder of a NUTRITIONFACTS.ORG – non-commercial, science-based public service. It is absolutely free! There are over 1,000 videos related to nutrition research on nearly every aspect of plant-based eating.
- You can pick up How Not to Die Cookbook with a ton of healthy easy to make meals.
3) Dr. Neal Barnard is a leading expert in the plant-based diet. Check out his book:
- Cheese Trap – Warning! This book will end your cheese addiction. In an effort to reduce inflammation, and speed up healing, I gave up dairy (specifically cheese) just for a few weeks. However, after I read the cheese trap, I gave up dairy for good.
- 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart is a plant-based guide. Try it for just 21 days! What do you get to lose? You most likely lose weight, have more energy, and feel younger.
4) Rich Roll is another hero of mine!
- Rich Roll Book is a work of art! Lots of recipes, lists of kitchen gadgets, pantry management tips, and guidance for changing habits. Not to mention, this book is about transformation. Check out finding Ultra as well. Rich Roll was an unhappy addict, overweight and unhealthy. Truly yours can definitely relate. This book is about Rich turning his life around to compete in one of the world’s toughest endurance events.
To conclude, whether you are trying to be a tad healthier, become a super elite athlete, or mountaineer give a plant-based diet a chance!
Share with your friends on FB and check out SOFLY Wellness Gang Recipes