5 Easy Steps That Helped Me
Shed 35 Pounds.
- Before: 145 lb., size 14/16 (Age 23)
- After: 110 lb., size 2/4 (Age 41)
- Total pounds lost: 35 lb. (years maintained: 18)
- Total sizes lost: 10
Change or Die.
Honestly, the beginning of my fitness journey was painfully stupid. First, I quit smoking (after six unsuccessful attempts) and replaced the nicotine fix with running. Also, I joined the gym and started taking classes, lifting weights, and using cardio equipment. But after a lifetime of being a couch potato, my joints gave up on me. So, instead of getting better, I fucked up my body a bit more. As a result, I hurt my knees and my spine.
I am Worthy.
Before I began my weight-loss journey, I learned that it is OK to take time for myself: practicing mindfulness, solitude, working out, food-prepping, hiking, and taking classes. It is not selfish! I must take care of myself first if I would like to show up in the world.
Weight Loss Is A Journey.
Within the first year of my wellness journey, I was able to lose 35 pounds and transform my life. Of course, success is rarely a linear process. I hit plateaus. I gained a few pounds here and there. But overall, I was able to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle over the last few decades. I continue to learn and tweak my diet and exercise regime, constantly educating myself on the science behind wellness.
Here are my top 5 easy steps towards weight loss:
1) Become A Mindful Eater
- Never eat in bad company.
- Always pay attention to your food when you eat.
- Turn off the TV and electronic devices.
- Slow down and savor the flavor.
2) Track Your Food Intake.
While working out helped tremendously, the real success came when I changed my relationship with food. spa When I first started, I tracked my food in a notepad. Today, I use an excel spreadsheet with a combination of myfitnesspal . It helps to keep me accountable.
- For a few days, record everything you eat in a notepad.
- No judgments, just observations.
- After a few weeks, analyze your food intake.
3) Eat Real Food.
How do you choose what to eat?
After trying high-fat, low-carb, low-fat, and a dozen other diets, I concluded that a whole food plant-based diet is the best! It excludes all meat, seafood, dairy, eggs, and anything else containing animal products.
Please don’t worry about protein! It’s a common myth that we need extra protein.
In fact, many professional athletes like Rich Roll, Serena Williams, and Mac Danzig, to name a few, are on a plant-based diet.
- Add real foods: veggies, fruits, legumes, and whole grains.
- Practice portion control.
- Add good fats like avocado, nuts, and seeds.
- If you eat meats and cheese, consider cutting it down.
- Remove “Non-food” items (Corn Syrup, un-pronounceable ingredients, artificial flavors).
- Subtract foods high in processed sugar (eat fruits instead).
- Remove low-fat foods with added sugar and chemicals.
- Practice intermittent fasting (advanced).
- If you consider a plant-based diet, check out Dr. Michael Greger and Dr. Neal Barnard’s research.
- Books: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease and Cheese Trap.
4) Don’t Try To Exercise Off A Bad Diet.
I don’t believe we can “out-exercise” a bad diet. I often would overeat and punish myself in the gym or on the running track. As a result, I would get hurt, and exercise would not be fun. I could only make a difference in my weight loss after I changed my relationships with food.
- Build muscles with weights and lose weight in the kitchen.
- It is hard to have a fun and productive workout with crap in your belly.
- Nutrition is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.
- I will have to walk four and a half miles to burn a 20-ounce soda.
5. Learn How To Cook Healthy Foods.
- Include more healthy foods in your diet to minimize room for junk.
- Fill your plate with greens and veggies, legumes, and some good fats.
- Invest in kitchen gear. My go-to tools are the Instant Pot, Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron Saucier Pan with lid, and Vitamix.
Beginning your weightless journey can be easily overwhelming and feel almost impossible. However, if you start following these 5 steps at your own pace, you will likely be surprised by the change you see! Besides, if I can do it, so can you. So, what are you waiting for? Your weight loss transformation awaits!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Anna Sheinman. They are not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional, and they are not intended as medical advice. They are intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from my own research and experience. I encourage you to make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional.